tef banner 3 for blog

Assessing all the information that goes into the Teaching Excellence Framework (TEF) awards is a major undertaking, and the panellists and assessors who do this work are vital to the process. 

Blog post 2: Cara Williams

“As a mature student, and the first member of my family to gain a degree, I feel very strongly about widening participation for disadvantaged groups (disabled and BME students in particular).

“I applied to be a TEF assessor as I wanted to be part of a transformation in the higher education sector with a focus on teaching excellence. I also wanted to represent students who attain their degrees from further education colleges rather than a traditional university.

“The TEF acknowledges that students from all backgrounds deserve to receive excellent teaching at all types of provider.

“As a TEF assessor, I worked alongside other students, and experts in the field of higher education from across the sector, gaining new skills and greater confidence.

“The variety of experience, knowledge and passion among the panellists and assessors led to unique reflections on the current requirements in the sector, and the future direction in assessing teaching and learning quality.

“I particularly enjoyed the thoroughness of the process, the teamwork and the transparent nature of the deliberations, debates and judgements. It was such a good experience that I have applied to be part of TEF Year Three, and I would encourage you to apply too.”

HEFCE is currently looking for student representatives to get involved as TEF panellists and assessors. The closing date is 6 October.

Find out more and apply

Read more about the TEF